Monday, August 9, 2010

The Land Before Time-lapse

I like gadgets.

I recently got a new camera, a Nikon D90. It was at Costco, so it must be a good camera! It has all the features I want in a camera and more. It's an SLR. It came with two zoom lenses. It takes videos.

But one thing I wished it could do is take time-lapse movies. I've always found speeding action that is otherwise imperceptible to be fascinating. One of the first shows I taped when I got my first VCR was Nova's "Moving Still," a program that showed us what we normally can't see because it happens too slowly or too quickly. I never erased that tape. I wonder where the collection of video tapes is.

One day I happened to think to Google something like "Nikon D90 time lapse." The results of the search sent me off to find how time-lapse moviemaking can be done with a digital SLR camera. All I needed was an intervalometer.

One of the first intervalometers I came across at was the Pclix LT. There were others that are less expensive but for some reason I kept going back to see if the Pclix was the one I wanted. It seemed to be quite versatile and somewhat simple to set up.

I got that gadget.

For what I've done so far, it is simple to set up. For intervals longer than 89 seconds or for having it control the camera in bulb mode, I will have to reread the manual.

Let's see what I can do with my intervalometer. I'll post examples of my successes. And failures. Maybe I can learn something about this art and make something of it.

6 comments:

MrBears said...

First VCR or first beta machine?

Chuckbert said...

Beta, of course! Beta was better than VHS but VHS won probably because it had longer tapes.

Shoe said...

Very good start to a neat new blog! Sometimes when I am driving around or walking in a crowd I think of Koyaanisquatsi. Thanks for feeding me!

MrBears said...

Good, I know where the VCR and Beta tapes are, but I don't think the VCR tapes are labeled. I'll dig them out for you. xoxo

Colleen said...

So you were already doing time-lapse before I suggested the old-fashioned cinema effects suggesting the passage of time. Cool. I suppose you can do slo-mo too.

Chuckbert said...

No slo-mo. You have to be able to take a lot of pictures in a short time for that to work. I don't have that technology.