Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The Blob vs. Magneto: The Rematch

I needed to try my hand at another movie of the Crazy Aaron's Strange Attractor Thinking Putty and Buckyballs.

This time the Buckyballs are on the bottom and the putty envelops it from above. Who will win?

I started with the intervalometer set to take pictures at three-second intervals. As time went by and the action slowed down I gradually increased the interval to six, nine, twelve, 18, ..., 88 seconds. The intervalometer's preset intervals go up to 89 seconds.

When I made my first cactus movie, I used a custom interval of two minutes. My second cactus movie was taken at four minute intervals. I still had those intervals programmed so I finished the movie with those intervals. The last eight or nine hours were taken at four minute intervals.

I'm effectively playing the images at a rate of 60 frames per second. You get to see the 16 hours of action compressed to a mere 28 seconds (plus a four-second long title).

As the putty was approaching the plastic sheet the things were on I saw that the putty would start to head out of the frame. So I moved the sheet away from the camera a little bit between frames for a bunch of frames. Then when it was about to cover the Buckyballs on the camera side I thought it would be fun to see how it might cover the balls on the side. So I rotated the sheet a bit frame by frame.

Unfortunately, by the time I got it all moved and rotated it had moved an inch or two away from the camera. The aperture was open pretty wide so the depth of field was pretty narrow. The balls went out of focus. Poop!

Maybe on the small screen it won't matter.

Here's the rematch between these mortal enemies.

No comments: