Thursday, September 9, 2010

Bob the Builder, the final chapter

Here we come to the end of this phase of our Ikea projects.

We decided that my little computer area needed just a little more storage. So we got a little file cabinet with one file drawer and three shallow drawers.

This project came close to going into the trash barrel.

This was shot at one frame per second and played back at 30 frames per second. That means that each minute flies by in just two seconds. The assembly runs smoothly until about 3:00. At that point I just can't get through step 27.
Step 27
It didn't help that there is nothing holding the bottom of the drawer to the side rails. The rails are held to the back with little hooks punched in the sheet metal so they are free to flop about. So the sides of the drawer have to be held against the bottom while you lower the drawer to its front panel and push all those pieces toward the top of the drawer face.

My thick skull kept interpreting the arrows to mean the drawer face is what moves up. So I kept trying to slide all the pieces in the wrong direction. Over and over again. You'll notice just before the pieces all go together that they suddenly are on the floor a couple of feet away from me. I wonder how they got all that way away from me. The drawer is finally put together around 3:30. Remember, one minute goes by in two seconds. The 30 seconds of the video that it takes me to assemble the drawer means I fought it for 15 minutes. This video nearly ended sometime in this segment.

Here is my last Ikea project for a while. I tried to make the last frame play for five seconds so you can linger over the finished product but that didn't seem to work. Sorry.

3 comments:

Shoe said...

I paused it to admire it for longer.

P-Doobie said...

It looks great!

word verif: oforks, which you were probably saying throughout the construction

Poss said...

drawers are hard. I put a dresser together while Ms X took a nap, but she woke up before finishing it. You are lucky not to have a two year old helping