Saturday, July 21, 2012

The Birds II

What I'm posting today doesn't really support the mission statement of this blog but I'm going to put it here anyway. Maybe this blog is now about movies that show things that can't normally be seen well.

This is my first slow motion video. My new Nikon 1 camera has slow motion video capability! It can take HD videos at the normal 30 frames per second. It can also take low definition videos at 400 and 1200 frames per second. The camera lets us take five real-time seconds of video at a time. In 400 frames per second mode that ends up with a minute and six seconds of video. The frame size in that mode is 640x240 pixels.

This is my first movie using this new technology!

I have several hummingbird feeders in the back yard. The little hummers are very protective of their feeders. They seem to spend a lot more energy defending their feeders from other hummers than they get from their nectar. I'm happy to watch. It's amusing to watch them strafe intruders.

I set the camera near one of the feeders and took a lot of little movies of the hummers in action. I edit my movies using iMovie on my Mac. The camera's aspect ratio is wider than iMovie deals with so it loses much of its original 640-pixel width. This video isn't in HD so you don't need to push any buttons other than "Play."

Hmmmmmmmmmmm!




1 comment:

MrBears said...

What cute little flappers.iop